Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Ugg(s)

It's been a long two weeks with my first two grad school presentations, Alabama's first two losses coming back to back, and what I can only wish were my first two will-power failures in recent memory.
The odd thing is that I'm not even talking about buying Uggs. I'm happy with that purchase-- much more so than with my bar tab from last weekend or the fact that I ate an entire plate of french fries last night at a diner where, I convinced myself, would be the perfect place for coffee and proofreading...only. Ahh, but I digress. I did in fact buy some Upside boots in Espresso. In what I am sure will not be the last of my political waffling, I have changed my tune from angsty-Fiona Apple-ish "I hate Uggs and girls who wear them" to a less abrasive-Golden Delicious Apple-ish "at least everything on my body won't be cold" sort of song. It's way less of a Blood on the Tracks break-up record than it is a Continuum coming to fruition type of deal. (Just because it's pop doesn't mean it's not rock solid.)
I've also bought some rain boots recently...and a chicken pita from Rafiqi on 5th Avenue. Living here is definitely not the same as visiting and going home with an entirely new wardrobe. The only good thing I've come up with to combat that feeling of "Have not" is that no one really cares what I'm wearing. No one really cares what's going on in my closet so long as it's not interfering with his walk up the subway steps or his trying to turn onto the upper level of the Manhattan Bridge. It's nice in a way to not have to dress for any particular trend or social dress code. It's also overwhelming sometimes to realize that I've got complete fashion say so and no idea what to say. But I really think this is going to be a fun process...revolutionizing my closet one piece of clothing (per month? hopefully...) at a time.
Who knows who I'll be in a few months?

No comments: