Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hello, World

Today was a good day. I did homework for the first half of the day, mostly re-checking the fact-checking I'd done over the weekend for my presentation tonight in my Media and Culture class. The presentation seemed to go well, which is a huge relief becuase it was the first one I've done as a graduate student, and I really wanted to start the season off with a hit. (Batting 1.000 for now. Next at bat one week from tomorrow.) After I finished the finishing touches, I went down to the handball court, planning to play tennis against the wall for a little while before I needed to shower and get ready to head into Manhattan to meet up with my partner from class. Much to my surprise, there were kids playing handball non-stop from noon til 4:00, when I walked by the last time on my way to the subway stop.
Why weren't they in class? I know they were in high school because, well, they hit on me, and the only time I get cruised by boys with no shirts on is when it's a felony. There are at least two high schools on the block between my apartment and the courts, so that means at least two principals and plenty of teachers and/or security guards that should have stopped them from skipping class. And then there's common sense that should have stopped them from skipping class on the same block. But regardless, I'm getting up at 8:40 in the morning to see if I can get some time on the court tomorrow. My reasoning is that slackers who don't go to class also don't get up before 10:00 to play handball. There's really no logic to it, but I'm hopng that I am right.
In case I am not, I posted an ad for an activities partner on Craig's List to find someone that isn't a wall to play tennis with me at Fort Greene Park. "Anna" replied and wants to meet up this weekend to hit around. I'm kind of excited. It will be good for me to meet someone that I've never met before. And it will be good for me to exercise (I read that tennis is the best non-gym activity for love handles). And it's good for me to make a plan and follow through on it every once in a while. I was hoping to find someone to play in the middle of the day on weekdays, but then again, I kind of have a hunch that a nice employable person who would be unavailable at those times might be a safer bet for me in the long run. There's a little logic wrapped up in that one, but I'm still left hoping that I am right til I meet her.
The ball is in my court as to day and time. I'm not exactly sure how to arrange it. I want to allow for a good time (Read: Hangover) hanging out with Vikas and his crew on Friday night and for the possibility of Oktoberfest on Saturday afternoon/evening. And should I buy two tickets to Oktoberfest in case "Anna" is really cool? Or in case I hear back from Glen? or Marissa? Could this potentially be the first scheduling crisis of my New York life? Could this be the first signs of a New York life? Ahh, the possibilities.
When it rains, it pours I guess. Maybe I should consult the weather forecast before making any solid plans?

No comments: