Monday, September 17, 2007

A New Year

I didn't exactly party like it was 5768 last week, but I did take a walk to the East River and symbolically empty my pockets of all my worries last Thursday. And I ate a peanut butter and honey sandwich, which is probably on par with my 1/4 Jewish heritage. Oh, and I didn't let Cohen eat any Beggin' Strips...for all he knows, they're bacon.
The week was a good one but not filled with a lot of to do's because of classes and alternate side of the street parking being cancelled. Incidentally, I found a website called www.todou.com that shows movies and tv shows online, so it was, in turn, filled with a lot of Todou. HA!
The weekend was tons of fun though, kicking off on Friday with a visit with my friend Rebecca who was in town from Boston. She has way more friends in Brooklyn than I do (yet?) and invited me to go see a show by Eliza B., another University of Alabama alum at the Velvet Lounge in Williamsburg. Eliza B performed some of her poetry to the accompaniment of Ben War, a 4-piece jazz ensemble. It was very cool to meet another Damn Yankee in the land of the damn Yankees (who took the series 7-1 in Boston), and the crowd loved her poetry, which was really cool too.
Saturday was Cohen's birthday, so we went to Fort Greene Park in the early afternoon to check out Circus Amok and eat a hot dog to celebrate two glorious years of not being a girl with a cat. I hated to leave him at home by himself afterwards, but I had to get to the Mercury Bar early enough to get a table for the Alabama v. Arkansas game at 6:45. By early enough, I mean that I got there at 5:00 and still only barely got the smallest table in the bar, but it was worth it to have front-row TV seats to watch the Tide comeback and win for the first time in years. And with 8 seconds left...it was the best ending that I can sort of, barely remember in all of my football-watching career. And, the cool thing about watching the game here in New York is that random girls from Connecticut wander in for an afternoon drink and get totally swept up in the fanaticism and, after gathering some composure and courage in the restroom, ask where they can get shakers-- the box at the door-- and then for cues on when to shake them--any time at all as long as we are winning. (Yeah, I tagged shakers in this post. It's not that it's that big of a deal in relation to the story, but I really wanted 'movers' and 'shakers' to show up in the topics archives.)
Sunday was spent re-watching those final eight seconds, watching the movie 8 Seconds, and then, by way of stream of consciousness hitchhiking, thinking about the rodeo. I didn't make it to Broadway on Broadway or to Tompkins Square Park, but I did have a lovely day reading the Times and eating takeout. I did dress as my favorite Broadway character though, but it was an accident because I think everyone just kind of looks like that when they are mooing. Long story for another time.

1 comment:

j.elliot said...

one starving musician came by to say: Happy New Year! I didn't even empty my pockets. Pretty lame seeing as tho I actually look forward to that.

j.e.